Click Click Click

Saturday, October 15

a place called Batam

A step to Batam this time round was fruitful. The fruitfulness wasn't about how fun was it, how much we spent and how good the trip was, but for me, honestly, it's the much insights that i've gained through my own eyes to look at the culture, the people and the place.


I see- poverty. The rich and the poor leave such a big gap within this little island. From one end you will see people eating ayam penyet in a restaurant, on the other end you see people sitting down by the streets to beg and most of them were cacat. I saw kids (who're supposed to have fun during their childhood) begged for money; I also witnessed a kid pulling a tray of buckets by her own lil hands. My heart sunk at that moment and i was in the bus.


During that split second, i thought i was so fortunate.


I see- the culture. The culture of selling stuff by the streets with this small cart. It's so small that probably only 3 ppl can stand comfortably to choose the goods. I see how visitors compared and bargained, as though the bags were not at the cheapest rate but for me it was already. I see competition among those vendors because they are selling almost the same thing. I got to see the batik too :) It was nicely done. To my dismay, the culture of smoking also quite frightening. Indons smoke anywhere, anytime. There's no designated place for smoker, not even a hotel lobby. There's no "NO SMOKING" signage at all! =x




I see- friendliness. I believe we always have stigma against indonesians due to the social issues. It's undeniable that they can be quite a nasty bunch but they are also simple version on their very own. They are friendly and humble. Most importantly, i feel they appreciate whatever they receive from us. I am thankful to our tourguide-Fendi who took care of us, especially in terms of our safety. Apparently locals are quite superb in snatching stuffs.




the chips were fresh! :)


I see- sacrifices. To us, eating up fire and glass, jumping over the fire ring are thrilling performance. When i look at them, i felt "What a sacrifice they have been doing all these while at no charge but to solely depend on the tips received..." I was truly amazed. I wonder was the stomach painful after that.


This trip to Batam made me love Malaysia in a broader sense where we're much developed and advance. At least I know we have food to eat, we have good bus to ride and we have a better living environment. Indonesians are friendly bunch. The service received was great and welcoming. The food was delicious yet affordable. Nevertheless, the security of this island will make me think twice for a revisitation. Thanks for all for this trip. Appreciate it. =)

No comments: