Click Click Click

Saturday, May 15

sense of fulfillment

When you work, it's very important for you to maintain the satisfaction level, be it for yourself, or the students that you're serving. That's the greatest intrinsic motivation of all.
Lately, although the workload seems to be endless, but deep down inside, I grin back to myself seeing students' smiles and gratitudes in return. Giving myself a pat of shoulder when the students thank me for the services made, though at times it's merely few lines of explanation. Moreover, some encounters of parents got me choked, especially over the phones, or meeting them during Open Day. I am happy to listen to parents, talk to them and listen to their problems, trying to sort it out and reply to them in a proper way. In return, it's the endless thanks over the long distance call. Same thing goes to Open Day. Parents shook hands and thank you for giving the kids some advices regarding their studies, especially if the kid happened to be psych-major later on.

"Why did u choose psychology during your time?"
"Coz i would like to learn more about human."
"So, what have you learned from it?"
"Well, I would say, it's the level of acceptance towards human that I am improving with whenever I deal with different people."
"I see, what are u up to in this uni?"
"I am under Student Development & Counselling Unit of Student Affairs."
"So, u're the counsellor, but counsellor always have less salary if compared to other professions."
"Ermm, i think, it's the matter of interest. I would like to involve myself in the helping ministry and try to serve students in education field."
At times, it's not always a smooth sailing for Student Affairs. I did meet students who are rude and arrogant, assuming you to know every tiny bit of the whole university. Shocked to know that I still can keep my head cool, and rationalize with them with patience, letting them know the importance of holding our own responsibility when you're old enough, added with the *forceful green smile (do not ever let your emotion controls you). Later then only blast/complain this issue to your team after the student left. HAHA! =D Nevertheless, I do meet students who are super obedient, polite and helpful. :)

It's never easy to work at Student Affairs, but the sense of fulfillment is always the greatest thing that I attained, especially when students come back to you, and wave you with a hi :) Have to remember, we are not able to please everyone in our lives.

No comments: